Thursday 12 May 2011

How different the outside can be from the inside

Thank you for the comments on the last post. This carries on from there in a way. The stretch between how I can come across, appear, perform to others, and how I really feel inside, where noone can see, is becoming more painful and harder to manage. This is a bad thing.

I don't want to drag myself around, telling the world how things feel inside. I do want to change, get better, be better and being in the world and interacting with people. I get up, mostly, I smile when I need to, I try. But when I seek support, when I go to a place where others may be able to relate even a little bit to others' struggles, I don't expect to come away feeling worse.

I worked, for a reason now unfathomable, in mental health for a while. I was struggling undiagnosed at that time, had times off, crisis intervention etc. Some people who I worked with knew, some didn't. I felt lost and useless, awkward in my role and in myself. I left, unable to cope. During that time and afterwards I avoided mh centres etc. Three years on I am trying to find ways to manage the times away from TC, therapy, which are a real struggle. To then go to somewhere seeking solace and to be told that I look fine and questioned as to why I can get support and someone else can't. Felt destroyed. So, am back to wondering, is it worth venturing outwards. Hello lonely world, can I make friends with you?

3 comments:

  1. I think that it's worth venturing outside, just that it's very difficult. Personally, I feel like I'm dashing "outside" and then running back "inside" again, before it gets too scary/someone notices, (does that make any sense?!) I guess it's about taking safe steps at first, ones that aren't too risky. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my comment on your last post disappeared but just wanted to say nothing helpful, but just how much all you write chimes with my own feelings/experience. You're far from alone.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both, I do feel less alone when friendly comments such as yours appear! x (and yes, Ruby, what you say does make sense!)

    ReplyDelete